Tuesday, July 31, 2012

More on "Hell Night"- the Inspiration for Garth Manor

A bit more information on the inspiration behind "Garth Manor" and the film that inspired it (well, to a certain extent).


The movie posters of the early 80's can't be beat!


 I saw this movie at the Starlite Drive-In when it was released. Movies were always more fun at the drive-in.

Here is a brief synopsis of the plot:

Before being able to join Alpha Sigma Rho fraternity and its sister sorority, four pledges must spend the night in Garth Manor, twelve years to the day after the previous resident murdered his entire family. Some, however, say that one member of the Garth family survived, and still resides somewhere in the now-deserted mansion. Murder and mayhem ensue.

I would certainly not classify this movie as "good", but some of the production values were a lot higher than other horror films of the time. The sets were beautifully done, the lighting and camera work were above par. Plus, it was fun watching Linda Blair run and jump around in that bodacious costume! Anyhow, this film captured my imagination as a kid and I still enjoy giving it a spin now and again. The film also had a hedge maze attached to the house which actually was a set built for the film. I have thought about including this in my landscaping design but I really need to consider the scale and scope of this project! I mean, until this sells or when not on display, I will have to keep it in my home!

Many movies have inspired my miniature creations. Ghost Story, The Changeling, The Company of Wolves, and The Legend of Hell House are all on my future project list. And I can't wait to see The Hobbit! I am sure that this film is going to create a flood of mini Hobbit Houses! Game of Thrones also has some tempting aesthetics.

What inspires your mini projects?






No comments:

Post a Comment