Saturday, September 15, 2012
Having a great week so far. Just thought I would share a couple random things with all of you. Oh and a quick Manor update as well!
Meet Brumbiddle. I received him as a Yule gift a few years ago. He watches over our front door and makes sure no mischief occurs (other than his own...)
I am moving my craft room from upstairs to this unused downstairs parlor room. In the winter it will be much cozier to work and the light is great. I just need to clear out the clutter before I re-fill it with other clutter! I have made a promise to myself that I am going to organize my supplies.
The first two washes are on the portico. There is a dark umber-ish color under a grey wash. Two more layers of wash will probably be enough.
Here is the final roof after an additional wash of murk.
Me looking kind of crazy. Fitting.
Speaking of crazy, I read on one of my Yahoo groups about these Dollar Tree mini glass bottles and bought out their stock. I have over a hundred of them now. They will be perfect as herb and potion bottles in my upcoming Occult Shop project. I can't get myself just to dump out the glittery stuff that came inside them but I am not a glitter person at all. I will replace the plastic stoppers with ones from clay. It will be a fun side project.
Posted by Bell and Crow Miniatures at 12:13 PM
Friday, September 14, 2012
Good news for us! We don't have to move! Thank the Gods! Because if I had to try and organize and pack up my craft room in the middle of this build I would curl into a ball and die. I would be like a puddle of quivering flesh on the floor. Like a piece of chewed up gum..... Ok, not really, but the thought of having to move made me physically ill. Whew! Now, back to business.......
Here you can see the aged roofing. I am still thinking one more coat of wash.....Then the trim work.I will be adding some weed growth along the trim line for added realism. Heck, I have weed growth along my own roof line and my house is lived in!
I got a really nasty splinter while roughing up the wood strips. I have bled more on this project than any other in my twenty plus years history with miniatures. A portent or omen perhaps....?
I have added a couple of layers of additional dark wash on the area below the broken roof to show the effects of the elements. More to come. Once the desired effect is achieved, I will add moss growth.
The area on the bricks below the opening with further weathering. This is just the first layer but I want to keep it somewhat subtle and not go "overboard". It is barely noticeable at this point.
Dry fitted all portico parts. The fit works. Now I just have to give it one more day to allow the "patchwork" clay dry and I will begin the stone painting. Tomorrow for sure! I am so excited because it will truly reveal the overall look for the structure. FINALLY!
Posted by Bell and Crow Miniatures at 9:19 PM
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
I really need to kick into high gear because we will most likely be moving into a different place in November. I am sad about this but it is a necessary evil.
My goal is to have the house on it's foundation, have all exterior (house) work done, including door, windows, and shingling, and most of the landscaping ready to be detailed. This may not sound like much but at the rate it has been going, it is a push. I just need to be careful about rushing anything. I don't want to do anything slipshod or half-arsed just because I have a goal to meet.
Here is what I have accomplished over the last couple days:
The stone has been painted and sealed. Really looks correct now. I am happy with the results. I still cannot permanently install this until the house is on it's base. You can see part of the original "basement window" that was part of the original house design because I just pushed it against the house to snap a pic. That will not show when installed.
I used those "Woodsies Thin Craft Sticks" to create the doors. I have found so many uses for them. The slight opening of the cellar doors is intentional and will feature a creepy element ;-)
The portico roof collapse with wood overlay. I just used some old clapboard siding strips. Next comes my favorite part- hacking away with my Exacto and attacking with my metal bristled scrub brush. Then multiple coats of various washes to age and weather and a further "scrubbing".
The area below the hole will have been exposed to decades of rain and direct exposure to the elements. I will need to adjust the coloration of the stones as well as the brick flooring in the affected area, making them a bit darker with hints of dark green. Moss will be added during the final detail work. I will use various shades of green and brown scenic flocking available through model train shops. I use the super fine and build it up in small layers to achieve proper scale and shading.
There will be beams on the underside of the roof that will have been the cross supports. These will be added once the roof is attached to the actual portico so the measurements are exact. These touches will barely be seen but I want them there so if you look closely enough, you will see them. They would have been there in real life so I want them.
I need to get my butt upstairs and get to work. No rest for the wicked as they say.
Posted by Bell and Crow Miniatures at 10:14 AM